There is a covered bus stop on one side of the street where you wait for the direct bus heading to San José. On the opposite side of the street is the pick up location for busses heading to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais – it’s general location is in front of a small store that sells vegetables and there is a tiny sign indicating that it is a bus stop. (See if you can find it!) All busses are very clearly labeled when coming to and going from Cóbano so you shouldn’t have any problems.
Direct bus to/from San José
The direct bus from San José leaves from the Terminal 7-10. This bus takes about 6hrs and leaves San José at 6am and 2pm. This is one of the more expensive buses in Costa Rica and as of 2017 the cost is 7020₡, which includes the cost of your ferry ticket of about 800₡. The trip takes about 5.5hrs.
Surfers, you will pay an extra 2000₡ for your surfboard.
We have a photo of the schedule below which is current as of May 2017 but here it is in writing:
- Cóbano to San José: 7:00am / 3:00pm
- San José to Cóbano/Montezuma: 6:00am / 2:00pm
- Santa Teresa/Mal Pais to San José: 6:00am (take local bus at 2pm local bus to connect in Cóbano with the 2:30pm. extra 1000₡)
- San José to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais: 6:00am / 2:00pm
- Montezuma to San José: 6:30am / 2:30pm
** you have to pay the whole fare to San José even if you want to only go part way.
Cóbano Local Bus Schedule (2017)
- Cóbano to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais: 06:50am, 10:30am, 11:30am*, 2:30pm, 5pm:00, 7:30pm*
- Santa Teresa/Mal Pais to Cóbano: 5:50am, 06:00am*, 7:55am, 11:55am, 2:00pm*, 4:00pm
* connection with the direct bus to/from San José
*be on time. This bus starts from the far end of Santa Teresa and may take 5-20+minutes to reach you depending on where you are standing.
1000₡, 45 minutes
- Cóbano to Montezuma: 5:30am, 7:30am, 9:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 3:30pm, 4:50pm, 7:45pm
- Montezuma to Cóbano: 6:20am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2:20pm, 4:15pm, 5:45pm, 8pm
400₡, 25 minutes *see photo of schedule below
- Paquera to Cobano: 6:15am, 8:15am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 3:30pm, 4:15pm, 6:15pm
- Cobano to Paquera:4am, 6:45am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 2:45pm, 4:30pm
1800₡, 1.5hrs *see photo of schedule below
Puntarenas to Paquera
- 05:00, 09:00, 11:00, 14:00, 17:00, 20:30*
(*no connecting bus heading all the way to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais, Montezuma)
Paquera to Puntarenas
- 05:30, 09:00, 11:00, 14:00, 17:00, 20:00
***here is an extremely useful number = call tel: 26612084 (then press 4) and you can get the current ferry schedule.
Help your fellow traveller
If you have taken any of the buses on this page, please drop us a comment below about how the trip went, what time you left, how long it took and what it cost. And, definitely let us know if we have anything wrong.
Lets help each other in our travels!