This route comes from a rad traveller named Theo:
“First note: this trip takes 2 days
– Boat from Isla Colon to Almirante ($6, 3mins)
– Walk 1km to the bus station at the gas station (free, 15mins)
– Bus Almirante to David they come to the terminal every 30 minutes (3.5 hours, $7)
– Bus David to Santiago, direct bus is located across the road from the main entrance to bus station, locals will know it, not sure of regularity of this bus seemed frequent (3 hours, $9)
– Bus Santiago to Chitre, amazing station at Santiago so just look for the bus that says Chitre (1.5 hours, $3)
– Bus Chitre to Las Tablas, they leave every 15 minutes, last bus 7pm (1 hour, $1.50)
– Las tables bus to Playa Venao leaves at 1.30pm, leaves from a stop near the church however stops at the main Praga stop directly after it leaves the initial stop. Please note, this bus says Cañas on the window as this is the final stop, you will have to ask the driver to stop when passing Playa Venoa.
– ALTERNATIVELY to last step, catch a regular bus to Pedasi that leave every half an hour from Praga supermarket and there are buses to Cañas (playa venao) I believe at 8am,12pm or 2.30pm though these times read differently on different blogs hence why we caught the 1.30pm one from las tablas as it was confirmed from a local driver.
This trip definitely takes two days due to the awkward times of the last buses to Cañas. Enjoy.”
For more Bocas del Toro information check out this page Bocas del Toro.
If you have done this trip leave us a comment below on how it went and if you have any updates or additions to Theo’s great advice.