Have a look at the comments below for helpful traveller advice. Add your comments and send us some photos to help improve this page!
Isla Colon (Bocas Town) to Puerto Viejo
One traveller named Melanie shares some really helpful info (March 2018). She wrote:
As we didn’t see a lot of information on traveling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro and vice versa, and we met a lot of travellers who are doing this route, we wanted to share our trip with you. We went from Isla Colon (Bocas Town) to Puerto Viejo and it went as follows:
– 10am water taxi to Almirante. If you use the Valencia company, their dock is very close to the bus station in Almirante. Arrive 10.35am ($5).
– walk 1 min to bus station.
– take 10.45am bus to Changuinola. Arrive 11.40am ($1.45).
– Walk through market where you are dropped off to the real bus station (2min walk)
– Take bus to Guabito (just yell frontera and people help you) at 11.55am. Arrive 12.40pm ($0.95).
– Get exit stamp Panama and entry stamp Costa Rica. We didn’t had to show any onward travel when entering CR, not sure if that is the case for everyone.. We were done here at 1pm Panama time; 12pm Costa Rica time (remember to put your watch back 1h when entering CR)
– 12.30pm Costa Rica time bus to Puerto Viejo (buy ticket at counter). Arrive 1.50pm (Colones 1690 ($2.85)).
A shuttle cost at minimum $25 and as busses in Panama on this route go quite frequently (every 15min and every 30min), in Sixoala every hour, you are also almost as fast as a shuttle. So, be adventurous and take public transport!
Ps: in Panama (on this route) you just pay in the bus. Just take a seat and a guy will come up to you to pay.
Ps2: you can obviously do the same route the other way around too. Just note that as already mentioned by someone else in the Sixaola topic, you need to pay $7 or $8 to get out of CR. In and out of Panama is free.
Bocas del Toro to Panama-City by night bus
Thanks to traveller, Julian Van T Hof for this info:
“Apparently if you want to travel from Bocas del Toro (Isla Colón), you buy a ticket which not includes the powerboat ($6) from the island to Almirante for the trip with the nightbus to the city of Panama. The tickets ($27.80) are sold by Taxi 25 (see picture) left of the big police station in Bocas town. The green ticket office is located in the back close to the water and opens at 6:30 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 5:00. The bus stop for the bus to Panama-City is located just outside Almirante near the highway and you can take a taxi for $2 from the harbor to there. The bus leaves at 7:30 pm. If you want the ticket on the same day of your travel it’s highly recommended to go to the office at the time they open up”.
Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro
Here is a route from a couple of travel bloggers you may find helpful: Border crossing from Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro.
Help your fellow traveller
If you have taken any of the buses on this page, please drop us a comment below about how the trip went, what time you left, how long it took and what it cost. And, definitely let us know if we have anything wrong.
Lets help each other in our travels!